Monday, November 1, 2010

Apples, Apples Everywhere

My sis-in-law gave me a HUGE box of apples on Sunday that she got from a friend who went to a local orchard for the last of the season picks. She got these giant boxes of apples for six bucks! They are mostly Granny Smith's with a few Fuji's. I'm thinking of making and freezing some pie filling and making applesauce. But, today I used this...

to make this...

and this...




The whole house smelled wonderful. I just may love the smell of freshly baked apples as much as I love the smell of pumpkin.

The first thing I made was Apple Crisp.

Here's the recipe:
5 cups sliced and peeled apples
Sugar
1/2 c. rolled oats
1/2 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 tsp. nutmeg
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 c. butter
1/4 c. walnuts

Coat sliced apples with suger (I used 3 tbsp.) and place in 2 quart baking dish. Mix oats, brown sugar, flour, nutmeg, and cinnamon. Cut in butter slowly until mixture is crumbly. Add walnuts and pour mixture over apples. Bake at 375 for 30 minutes. Serve with vanilla ice cream. Delicious!

The second thing I made was apple puree for Nug Buns. I used the Fuji apples for this. I think the Granny Smith's would be too tart for her.

I steamed 6 apples for about 15 minutes. After they cooled, the skin peeled right off. Add the apples to the food processor with 1-2 tbsp. of the water you used to steam the apples and puree it up! So easy to do and now Nug Buns has some yummy apple goodness to try tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment